[ale] Serial consoles

Eric Z. Ayers eric at compgen.com
Mon Jan 20 08:10:16 EST 1997

Part of my job is to maintain machines attached with serial consoles. Having
the serial consoles setup make it possible for me to maintain and
diagnose a remote system.

Now, a PC is unlike many other UNIX workstations/servers in that there
isn't a command line console burned into firmware.  We have Alpha
stations with serial console ports attached to a terminal server.

First of all, the serial port is active even when you are down in the
firmware mode.  This means you can watch the entire boot process from
the serial port.   This command line console also has some hardware
diagnostic commands and allows you to boot of of different disks or into
a different operating system.  Also, there is a special escape sequence
that breaks out of the operating system into the command line console
interface.  This is helpful when the machine has crashed or for some
reason up, but not responding.

-Eric.