[ale] Memory addressing failures

Andy Grover agrover at emory.edu
Sun Jan 12 04:34:19 EST 1997

On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, aesop wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	I upgraded from 16M to 32M and am now having problems.  Linux
> detects the 32M, but page faults during startup or shortly after.  The
> kernel dump and error message are typically
<snip>

Hmm. Well, is the machine a Compaq? I understand that their BIOS is a bit
strange.

Strictly from a hardware point of view, if it's still not too much trouble
(i.e. your system's case is still not screwed on <grin>) I'd say take out
the old 16MB, and see what happens with just the new, perhaps?

> adding mem=16M eliminates any problems.

Out of curiosity, have you tried mem=18M, 20M, etc.?

> The no-hlt and no-387 boot options had no effect (suggested from a FAQ).
>
> Ran Norton NDIAGS under DOS.  Complete extended memory test (walking 1's and
> 0's through the 32M) No failures.

This is good, I guess, but I still wouldn't cross bad memory off the
list...

Good luck! :)

Andy

Andrew Grover      | "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying
agrover at emory.edu  |  in hospitals dying of nothing."   - Redd Foxx
http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/~agrover/