[ale] 16

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jan 9 03:20:51 EST 1997

> I think that this can mainly be attributed to the gain in momentum of
> the Pentium Pro 200MHz.  And also how well they perform in a multi-processor
> environment.  On WinNT Adobe Photoshop runs much faster on 200MHzP6 machine
> than a  200MHzP5.  And twice as fast on a dual P6 system.   I've also seen
> FreeBSD on a P6-150MHz and it flew like a rocket as opposed to P5-166 system.
> I upgraded a customer from 166Pentium to Pro150.  I was skeptical but
> she wanted a 150, so that she got and it was MUCH faster.  I haven't seen

The pentium pro can execute instructions out of order versus the pentium
which requires that the compiler do that optimization. In addition, the P6
is simply built over better Tech (both hardware and in design) than the P5
so it *should* be a better chip. And the things still a CISC chip. The only
real competition is the HP PA-RISC and the DEC Alpha. And the DEC alpha
only gets its true performance by running at really high clock speeds.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/vernard/