[ale] Linux as has-been OS <G>

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 3 19:33:46 EST 1997

On  3 Dec, cyberjac wrote:
> Has Novell gotton their hands on Caldera also?

Novell used to use and do some Linux development internally.  Portions
of dosemu and the linux network stack (IPX/SPX and other Novell-type
junk) and possibly other stuff were contributed by Novell, though it's
rumored that a lot of their really good work was not released (dosemu's
allegedly still not at the levels that internal Novell code was at).

Caldera was founded by some ex-Novell employees, and Ray Noorda is
bankrolling them.

> Does anyone know the pro's and con's about Caldera vs RH?

Caldera targets business audiences more (supplies Netscape web
servers, etc.).  It also has / will have a lot of proprietary stuff
(NDS, etc.) that make it  a better solution for intranetworks in Novell
shops.

Their config stuff's kinda weird (though, I suppose, no more so than
Red Hat's control-panel stuff), and their attitude towards security is
kinda strange (they consider kerneld a security risk, but don't think
shadow passwords are necessary).

On the plus side, I noticed they lowered the price of Wabi 2.2 for
Linux to $99 ($69 .edu), just in time for Christmas shoppers.

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu