[ale] ULTRA Linux.

gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 28 15:05:27 EDT 1997

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Nick Grimmig wrote:

> Does anybody know if Linux supports the Ultra Sparc Series SUN's???

It sure does.  What you want is UltraPenguin 1.0, the Linux/Sparc
developers' version of RedHat for Ultra Sparcs.  It's available at
ftp://vger.rutgers.edu/pub/linux/Sparc/ultrapenguin-1.0/ (among other
places).

What UltraSparc machines are currently supported?
Ultra 1 desktop systems
Ultra 2 desktop and some server systems which have a TurboGX (cgsix)
framebuffer.

Creator and Creator3D machines are not yet supported, unless you put a
supported framebuffer into one of the sbus slots. Creator support is now
actively being developed. Ultra 2 low end servers are supported in
uni-processor mode.  For example, Ultra EnterPrise 1 and Ultra EnterPrise 2
servers can be expected to work.  Higher end EnterPrise server machines such
as the 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, and 10000, all of which use the Gigaplane
bus, are not supported yet.

<end quote>

David Miller recently announced Ultra Sparc multi-processing support, so
this is obviously out-of-date, but it gives you an idea....

later,
chris

>  "C'mon ya wimps, one more beer, it's open ocean out there,
>   what're we gonna hit?"  -- Captain Hazelwood, Exxon Valdez

Is this quote verified?

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu