[ale] Ports and Crypt

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Thu Aug 21 14:23:31 EDT 1997

Ok,
  I'm thinking of doing some port based stuff on my machine, such as
telnet to port 4133 and get a rather detailed report of what's going on
with the machine.  The problem is I'm paranoid by default.  I'd like to
use /etc/passwd to restrict who can/can't access it.  I've got down
alot of the details.  My problem is I want to use a perl script and a
subroutine that requests a passwd then compares it agains an entry
in /etc/passwd.  Does anyone have a quick tutorial on how to encrypt
the string the user gives so I can do a comparison or some other
good ideas?

Robert
Robert L. Harris          |    If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_     you don't understand the question.

Email:
Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER: