[ale] Replacing NT with Linux

andy dread at atlcom.net
Wed Aug 20 21:22:11 EDT 1997

Thompson Freeman wrote:

> cut8<
>

> > I've read that the WINE project is really not finished, is this
> true?
> > I've also read Caldera's promo on having a good Windows emulator in
> > their $200-$300 package.
>
> I've heard mostly good things about Caldera's version of WABI (from
> Sun), but
> the product is limited (to 3.1) This may change, but WABI will always
> be a
> generation or better off Microsoft's pace.

If Sun were to make WABI32 then I would have a *complete* solution for
replacing
NT4.0 Workstation with Linux for some of our customers.
They all ask me "err well can it run NT stuff":(.

However, I have successfully added to / replaced a few NT4.0 Servers
with the
Caldera+Samba+Netscape Solution and it works good.  The main thing
missing in Samba
is NT domain services If I could get that feature under Linux then I
would have most of the
tools necessary to completely replace NT. In some cases when customers
still want their
NT Server setup then I would be able to make the Linux server the
primary domain controller
and the existing NTbox the backup.

The setup is really cool as it is now though :
1 Replace MSExchange with Sendmail or if they need something like
Netscape
2 Setup SMB /Samba
3 Setup IP-MASQ (some may opt to get a single ISDN128k line instead of
the typical
   multiple 28.8  modems/bell-south lines/isp-dialup scenario. ) or even
just a 28.8 line
   for lower traffic and even less cost.
4 Setup Apache "no need for MS-IIS here"
etc.

again, the main thing missing here is NT Domain Services for those who
wish to maintain
their existing domain setup. I  have looked all over the docs and man
pages for Samba
and also visited their web site but no help there.  Maybe there is some
setting I need to
enable in /etc/smb.conf but only found one for workgroup not domian.  I
will keep poking
around the web and update if I find anything.  My experience with Samba
is quite limited
for now though.

/andy