[ale] Worldnet and Linux

Glynn Black blackgr at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 20 09:28:56 EDT 1997

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Darshan Kadam wrote:

> > Hi,
> >         The last time that I tried, which was last month, I got the following.
> >         I tried it a few more times with various changes to the ppp, chat
> >         and chap scripts to no avail.
> >

> I've been trying to research the 'serial link is not 8-bit clean'
> message below,
> but haven't had any luck.  I recall this message as well, and know it
> indicates a
> problem, but can't find any info on it.  This is where you may want to
> focus your
> efforts.  You might post this output to the ALE list as well. (I believe
> you sent
> this to me and not to list)  There may be some folks there that can
> help.  If I find anything else on it, I'll forward it to you.  Sorry I
> couldn't be more help.

I'm not sure who originated this question, but I'll post some information
and maybe it will be of some help.

This is the script I use on a daily basis to connect to worldnet via
Linux. It would be more readable by breaking the lines up, but for
reasons I couldn't figure I could never get it to work including word
wrap or line breaks, hinse I left them out. Of course your userid and
phone number will be different. Use login id in place of Xs.

#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/pppd name "XXXXXXXXX at worldnet.att.net" -d connect '/usr/sbin/chat -t 45 -v ABORT BUSY "" ATDT96516000 CONNECT ""' /dev/cua3 57600 noipdefault modem defaultroute crtscts

Set bit for pppd: chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd

Then there is /etc/ppp/chap-secrets:

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client	server	secret			IP addresses
XXXXXXXXX at worldnet.att.net * "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" *
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Login id			login password

The biggest pain lies in the fact that (unless things have changed)
you have to setup your account on one of the other operating systems
before you can gain access to  your login id and password information
needed to get the scripts to work. Be aware that there are different
user ids and passwords used to logon and fetch/receive email.

As far as how to get at the userids and passwords, I forget. When I
first signed up with worldnet, it was a simple matter of digging out
an .ini file and plugging in the values but I think things have
changed. If this is still a problem let me know and I will see if I
can dig this out as well.

Glynn Black	blackgr at worldnet.att.net