[ale] DiamondStealth and frame buffer...

Robert L. Harris robert at ast.lmco.com
Mon Aug 18 14:24:40 EDT 1997

Ok,
  I'm not sure if this is a kernel problem or not as I'm not an internal
guru although I'm trying to learn.  If this doesn't belong here, please
ignore it and don't send me those really cute nasty messages telling me
it doesn't belong here.

  I have a AHA3940UW scsi controller in my machine now.  I also have a
Diamond Stealth VRam (3000 series) card.  Since I put the 3940 in I can
not run X.  THIS IS NOT AN X PROBLEM  NO FLAMES PLEASE.  It appears that
when I try to bring up X, it actively tries to map out the memory on the
video card (4megs) and within 30 seconds it locks the machine dead.
Adaptec says it's a problem with the video card.  Diamond admits it's a
problem with the video card.  They say there is a "bug" in the
framebuffering and if it can be "readjusted" it would solve the problem.
I don't know how many other people have had this problem and spent $$$
we don't have to buy new cards thinking the card is toast but I can't
afford to.  Does anyone know who/how/where I should look about the
framebuffering and how trivial it is?  Could this be a reccomended
patch?  As I said, this might end up a really nasty problem for alot
more people that would be great.

Thanks for all the help.
  For all who sent really nasty flames about not sending X problems
  to linux-kernel READ THE ABOVE, IT WASN'T AN X PROBLEM!!!!

Robert

Robert L. Harris          |   If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_    You don't understand the question

Email:
Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

perl -e 'print
$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'