[ale] Newbie Linux Help :)

Todd Graham Lewis tlewis at mindspring.net
Fri Aug 8 02:44:09 EDT 1997

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, james pancoast wrote:

> 	But, above all... experiment, fiddle around, and ask yourself "what does
> this program do?"... and "how do they do that?"... and "what'll happen if I
> delete this 'vmlinuz' file?" (just to be safe, DONT delete that file,
> unless you know that that particular one isn't the one you're using to boot
> the machine :) and all sorts of other questions.  I don't know about anyone
> else here, but that's how I learn stuff.  I see something cool that someone
> has done, and I try and figure it out.  Like, why my friend had a '0' in
> the UID and GID fields in his entry in /etc/passwd...

1) "experiment, fiddle around", "what'll happen if I delete this 'vmlinuz'
   file?"

I'm so awesome, I don't even get nervous deleting kernel images anymore.

2) "I don't know about anyone else here, but that's how I learn stuff."

That's pretty much been the modus operandi of my entire career.  You can
go a long way

3) "I see something cool that someone has done, and I try and figure it
   out.  Like, why my friend had a '0' in the UID and GID fields in his
   entry in /etc/passwd"

This is horribly uncool, actually.  Excessive use of root permissions is a
sign of one who has not mastered the Tao of Unix, imo.

--
Todd Graham Lewis       Manager of Web Engineering    MindSpring Enterprises
(800) 719-4664, x2804             Linux!               tlewis at mindspring.net