[ale] Newbie Linux Help :)

james pancoast jamesp at area51.homecom.com
Thu Aug 7 23:30:39 EDT 1997

At 07:51 PM 8/7/97 PDT, you wrote:
>Well, its me again ... I decided to attempt an install from CD, so I
>went ahead, formatted my decent computer, partitioned, and installed
>Linux from CD.  It worked!  I am still in shock!  Of course, I still
>know (right next to) nothing about Linux.  Any suggestions on books (or
>even better:  webpages) would be of great help.  I've already gottent he
>suggestion of: "Linux in a NutShell" by O'Riely, any other ideas are
>MORE THAN WELCOME.  Thanks in advance, and have a nice evening :)

	Book wise, I started out with Running Linux, by Matt Welsh and someone
else :).  I have 11 O'reilly books on my shelf right now, with 6 more on
the way from Amazon.com... I think my GF's gonna freak... 6 books cost lots
of money... oh well.  All for the betterment of my mind, I always say!

Web Wise, I'd have to point you to three:
	http://www.linux.org/
	http://www.ssc.com/linux/resources/apps.html  (the LSM at SSC.  Is that
enough acronyms for you?.  LSM = Linux Software Map, SSC = Specialized
System's Consultants, I think)
	http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/linux.html	  (The Woven Goods for Linux
page.  It's a decent place to find out about new programs for linux, or to
find a specific program)

Also, there's a good magazine out there... maybe you've heard of it... it's
called 'Linux Journal'.  I've seen issues in Microcenter, Barnes and Noble,
Tower Records, and Borders (I think)

	But, above all... experiment, fiddle around, and ask yourself "what does
this program do?"... and "how do they do that?"... and "what'll happen if I
delete this 'vmlinuz' file?" (just to be safe, DONT delete that file,
unless you know that that particular one isn't the one you're using to boot
the machine :) and all sorts of other questions.  I don't know about anyone
else here, but that's how I learn stuff.  I see something cool that someone
has done, and I try and figure it out.  Like, why my friend had a '0' in
the UID and GID fields in his entry in /etc/passwd...

	Ok, I'm done ranting.  I'm just reliving some of the old times, I guess.

Mulder, could you please explain to me the scientific nature of, 'the whammy'?
Do not taunt Super Happy fun ball...
mailto:jamesp at area51.homecom.com; http://area51.homecom.com/