[ale] Installing Linux on a compact pentium machine

William Young catbert at ding.mindspring.com
Wed Aug 6 13:50:39 EDT 1997

Hi There

More than likely, the problem is that you have scsi compiled into your
kernel for the swrong type of board. Compaq will probably be little if any
helf in determining scsi type, so your best bet is to open your computer,
take the board out, and try to find a reference on the board itself. It
may be on the chip. If you can't figure out what type of scsi you have,
write down what's printed on every chip, and post it to this list. Also,
check to see if it was compiled in (you can tell by looking at
/usr/src/linux/.config). Also, what does /proc/scsi say?

William Young					catbert at mindspring.com|
There is a general social trend in English-speaking countries (and most
likely elsewhere) to treat technically-educated people as the social
inferiors of non-technically educated people. This is a terrible ill
affecting our society --Bruce Perens