[ale] [ALE] fdisk question

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Wed Apr 2 10:39:48 EST 1997

It was my impression that you could only have one extended partition, but
I may be wrong.  You can put more than 4 partitions in an extended partition
if you want.

Jim.
---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

>         I have just installed a new IDE drive and am trying to partition
> it.  I am using fdisk version 3.04.  I would like to define 4 partitions:
>                 #1      linux native
>                 #2      linux extended
>                 #3      linux extended
>                 #4      linux native
>
> I have no problems doing that.  But, I am unable to define any
> "partitions" within the two extended partitions.  I would like to define 4
> within each.  I was expecting to be able to define hdc5-8 in the first and
> hdc9-12 in the second.  When I try to define those partitions, I get a
> message that says that the partition doesn't exist.
>
>         Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>                                                 thanx,
>                                                 philip

Jim Lynch, System Engineer,  SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Federal Business Systems, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at sgi.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269