[ale] succesful laptop install

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 30 11:46:37 EST 1996

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Vernard Martin wrote:

> > LILO worked OK, I'm not sure what the problem was for Vernard.  Must
> > have to do with the fact he was upgrading rather than installing.
>
> I finally figured it out. I was upgrading and i ran out of disk space on my
> root partition. The system has really really really bad problems with htat
> because it doesn't tell you what the real problem is.

Another problem I ran into with redhat 4.0:  the ftp upgrade install
script for updating lilo uses the wrong name for the kernel image, so it
fails as well (and then the install crashes before copying a few of the
necessary PAM files).  You can get around this by flipping to another VC
and doing the lilo by hand.

later,
chris

BTW, you might not need to watch out for this anymore, because I believe
red hat released an updated set of ftp install disks that have the correct
script.

Chris Ricker : gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu : The Georgia Institute o' Technology