[ale] Auto-ftp

Robert L. Harris Robert.Harris at twcable.com
Wed Oct 16 08:29:30 EDT 1996

> > I'm trying to write a shell script that will ftp a file from one machine
> > to another, using anonymous login . FTP does not seem to like my
> > redirected inputs . Anyone have any hints on this ?
> >
> > 						Thanks,
> > 						   Dave
> I seem to remember that both FTP and TELNET are pains about handling redirects
> in.  I was told the only way to automate an FTP is to use expect, which works
> with tcl/tk.  One other possibility is to use NcFTP
> (ftp://ftp.probe.net/pub/ncftp) which allows you to specify on the command
> line, the ftp type URL to Anon. FTP from.  Most Linux distributions have an
> older version 1.9.x, which I don't remember if it supports this or not.

Redirects are a pain.  Expect is a language (similar to tcl) that is easy to
learn once you start playing with it.  If you want some sample scripts,
let me know.  I used an expect script to register me for classes (telnet to
the reg. machine and do case based desicions based on what I was able
to get) at GSU when I had a 3:00am time slot...

Got all but 1 class...

Rob