[ale] applixware?forge being added to access control list

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 11 11:23:46 EDT 1996

> I have neither seen or used it, but Nicholas Peterly from InfoWorld
> Magazine claims that it is a MS Office killer.  He says that it is a
> must for anyone using Linux on the desktop.  He did say that it has
> some bizzare feature holes, like there is no word count tool in the WP,
> but he wrote a macro to do it in about 3 minutes.  He especially liked
> the ability to link your data together in so many ways (hyperlink,
> embedded live data, etc.) and the ability to create applications from
> the tools that are included.  So, that's your third-hand recommendation.

I've been monitoring a few newsgroups lately and a lot of the opinions
expressed sem to lean towards the "its a very good package but its missing
some very necessary features". Most notably its ability to import MSWord
documents but not export to the that format. These are the types of things
that you need for interoperabiiity. i'm seriously considering buying a
version for myself though.

Vernard Martin, Advanced Parallel Experimentation Laboratory
(vernard.martin at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/vernard/
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332