[ale] more memory, bigger swap?

Andy dread at atlcom.net
Tue May 28 22:24:22 EDT 1996

Steven A. Duchene wrote:

>         I have heard of some versions of Unix that reserved a certain amount
>         of virtual memory in relation to how much physical memory was
>         installed and if there wasn't enough swap space it wouldn't use all
>         of the physical memory. Linux doesn't do this (the Sparc box at work
>         has 32Mb of RAM and no swap since there is no hard drive in the
>         machine) but it does sound like a real good justification for having
>         sufficient swap space.
> --
> Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600
>
>                The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
>                    X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
>                     I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.

I have 24MB ram and 60 MB swap. The most swap I have used on my machine with this
configuration is about 4MB and thats with X running while compiling kernel. as far as
the amount you would need would depend on how many users are running applications as
well as users logged in through ftp and telnet on your machine. In other words if you
are trying to be an ISP then you would need more swap as apposed to a single user macine
running only a few apps. By watching "top" and experimenting with applications you can
get a general idea of the amount of swap demanded by your particular application.