[ale] X and ELF

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Mon May 27 16:58:42 EDT 1996

Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Okay, I think I'm starting to figure this one out.  I've found ELF libs for
> X and I've found the ELF X drivers.  Question is, has anyone else embarked on
> the X ELF yellow brick road?  Is it worth it?

        Yup, I did this and it was pretty painless other than the little gotcha
        that ld from the latest binutils needs all the libraries on the system to
        have links of the form:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           13 May 25 14:26 libX11.so -> libX11.so.6.1*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           13 May 19 13:40 libX11.so.6 -> libX11.so.6.1*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       704487 May 14 17:31 libX11.so.6.1*

        The libX11.so link is NOT made by ldconfig and if you don't go around and
        make it by hand ld will happily link in the static versions of these
        libraries! Fixing this solved my problem with the 800Kb+ X binaries.
        Everything is hunky dory now. :-)

        BTW, for those of you who were asking questions at my talk on the Sparc
        port of Linux, there is now native shared and static versions of e2fsck
        and I am now mounting my root filesystem from a hard drive in the Sparc1!
        Yahoo! Next on the list is to figure out the complicated directions for
        setting the machine up to boot a kernel from that hard drive.

        It seems like RedHat is real close to releasing a Sparc distribution of
        Linux. They are releasing dynamic RPMS packages like mad as well as
        soliciting stuff others on the sparc mailing list have compiled.

--
Steven A. DuChene   Linux Weenie!  http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene

		isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
		    -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"