[ale] Java and latest kernels (fwd)

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Mon May 27 01:34:55 EDT 1996

}> > I want to start playing with Java and I understand that I need a later
}> > kernel then I have.  I'm at 1.2.13 and figure I may as well jump to the
}> > pre2 kernel releases.  Is anyone doing the Java thing under Linux yet?
}>
}> I just started looking at it this weekend. Actually there was a web page
}> that pointed out that Netscape has a java compiler with it. So you can
}> actually do java development using 1.2.13 a.out.
}
}Hi all.
}
}I have been doing Java application development under Linux (along with
}what I do on HP/Sun at work) and have found it to be one of the more
}stable ports!  I would _highly_ suggest upgrading to an elf-based
}system.  I have heard horror stories from others that tried just
}upgrading the libs.  In either case, you must have a system capable of
}running ELF executables.  In addition, 1.2.13 needs upgrades of the
}following (I hope I haven't forgotten any).
}
}libc.so.5.2.18
}ld.so.1.7.14
}libdl.so.1.7.14

The ELF-HOWTO has a list of everything you need to upgrade.  I've just
finished upgrading gcc so I can now create either elf or a.out binaries.
It got hairy for a while, but I'm there.  I previously built a pre2.0.5
bootable floppy.  It booted but I had some complaints.  The only one I
couldn't figure out was it complained that it wasn't configured for PPP,
although it was.  I'm compiling pre2.0.7 right now to see if there's any
difference.

}
}Actually, I am writing an article on Java for the Linux Journal right
}now (actually, I'm taking a break :)  They play an entire issue on the
}subject due late August (I think - It's due June 1 :).

I'll look forward to it.

}
}BTW, in case anyone didn't know, the home for the Java-Linux project
}is ftp.blackdown.org://pub/linux/Java or www.blackdown.org.  They've
}done a great job of porting it!

Thank you.

}
}Bill
}
}

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net
	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof  or http://denali.is.net/~geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....