[ale] Cool X setups

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Fri May 17 10:07:32 EDT 1996

> I want my computer to be able to generate tornado images like that -
> or at least pictures of Helen Hunt.  Anyway, it looked like the SGI
> laptop was running Motif and not the SGI 4dwm window manager.  Doesn't
> matter much - mwm with the right settings looks like an SGI I'm sure.
> (At least the buttons and menu titles)

Ugh. No. SGI's 4Dwm is pretty hard to simulate. I think they use some
custome fonts or something.

> A lot...if you feel happier working on your computer, it'll be more
> productive.  One of the reasons I avoid Macs is because I think the
> interface is butt ugly.

Amen to that. One of the reasons I used a NeXT machine for quite sometime.
And that's the main reason I use mini-tower cases instead of desktops or
full tower cases. I like the compact design.

> I'm willing to setup on my web server images of peoples desktops and
> how they were configured to get that way.  Just send me an image of
> your desktop and whatever info about how you got it that way, and
> I'll put it out there.  Almost any format is fine...preferably tared
> and gziped, then uuencoded.  Images preferably in gif or jpg, though
> xwd's will be handled.

Cool. There are several of them on the FVWM home pages and they are pretty
impresive in their own right. And if you check out the Window Manager home
page that has screen shots of various window managers that exist you can't
even tell you are on a unix machine. Except for the better performance :-)

Also, check this out:

Article: 5530 of comp.os.linux.announce