[ale] Can't run kernel: Unable to mount root

Zot O'Connor zot at crl.com
Fri May 17 19:41:58 EDT 1996

Zot O'Connor wrote:

> I see to be having some problems compiling.  Whenever I compile and
> attempt to run the kernel I get:
>
> Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:11
>
> Whether I do a zdisk, or zImage
>
> At first I thought it was because I was comiling on sda and in the
> Makefile said ROOT=CURRENT and the root structure is on sdb
>
> So I tried
> ROOT=/dev/sda
> ROOT=/dev/sdb
> ROOT=/dev/sdb1
> ROOT=FLOPPY
>
> All with the same result.  Do I need to do a make mrproper after chaning
> root?
>
> I had a number of wierd errors that reloading form readhat, *seemed*
> to solve.  I had to reinstall, though rdev kept failing on lib.4.sc not
> found.
>
> Also is it possible to add IPforwarding as a module?  I don't quite
> understand modules yet, are they only in 1.3.x?
>
> --
> Later,
> ZOT                                                        zot at crl.com
> Home Page:   http://www.crl.com/~zot/home.html
> Improv Page: http://www.crl.com/~zot/improv.html
tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out FLOPPY > zImage
Root device is (0, 0)
tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out CURRENT > zImage.CURRENT
Root device is (8, 17)
tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out /dev/sda > zImage.sda
Root device is (8, 0)
tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out /dev/sdb > zImage.sdb
Root device is (8, 16)
tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out /dev/sdb1 > zImage.sdb1
Root device is (8, 17)
---------------------
mount
/dev/sdb1 on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /old type ext2 (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
---------------------
/etc/lilo.conf:
boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=200
image=/vmlinuz
	label=linux
	root=/dev/sdb1
	read-only
	append = ""

image=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage.sdb1
label=new
	root=/dev/sdb1
	read-only
	append = ""

-------------------------

I run lilo, all are added...

When I choose linux (kernel is from Red hat) things work.  When I choose any of the other ones,
it a no go, I get the same Kernel error message:
 Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:11

Note:  when I chose FLOPPY, the kernel loaded to the same point and asked for a root disk
to be inserted.  So clearly it new that I had cose /dev/floppy as the corretc guy.

Do I need the root line in lilo if I have told the kernel that already?

Would rdev solve this? (I have tried with no luck..)

Well I was thinking .. and here are the results from doing it:
vmlinux :
Root device 0x758d
Root flags 34247
vmlinuz :
Root device /dev/fd0
Root flags 1
vmlinuz.for :
Root device Boot device
Root flags 0
vmlinuz.net :
Root device /dev/fd0
Root flags 1

zImage :
Root device Boot device
Root flags 0
zImage.CURRENT :
Root device /dev/sdb1
Root flags 0
zImage.sda :
Root device /dev/sda
Root flags 0
zImage.sdb :
Root device /dev/sda16
Root flags 0
zImage.sdb1 :
Root device /dev/sdb1
Root flags 1

(I set Root Flags of zImage.sdb1 to 1 and rebooting whilethinking, and same results.)

[root at zotnet boot]# rdev zImage.sdb1
Root device /dev/fd0
[root at zotnet boot]# rdev -R zImage.sdb1
Root flags 1
[root at zotnet boot]#

and now the result is....
Same Thing!

Damn

Well this post ran on a bit long, but I wanted to prevent suggestions I already
tried, and supply as much info as possible.

One note:  vmlinuz.net was made a while ago and worked.  Now it doesn't.  What do I
need to change to my system to get this to work, or potentially change in my kernel building.