[ale] Digital TV...

nomad nomad at netwide.net
Fri May 10 23:31:39 EDT 1996

Unix Guru Dude wrote:

> }Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> }>
> }> This off the list subject, but....
> }>
> }> At the little get together at Denny's after the meeting last night, there
> }> was a short discussion regarding digital TV and I had mentioned that there
> }> was alot of talk a while back, and then it just died.  I received the
> }> following from a company mail list regarding this subject:
> }>
> }> >          *** DIGITAL TV STANDARDS -- Federal regulators formally proposed
> }> >          standards today to govern television broadcasters' transition from
> }> >          analog broadcast technology to high-resolution, digital
> }> >          technology.  The standards, developed during the last eight years
> }> >          by a coalition of companies and researchers known as the "grand
> }> >          alliance," are intended to insure a uniform transition to the
> }> >          digital technology, which will let TV stations transmit pictures
> }> >          almost as sharp as the 35-millimeter images seen in movie
> }> >          theaters.  The alliance includes AT&T, General Instrument,
> }> >          Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Philips Consumer
> }> >          Electronics, David Sarnoff Research Center, Thomson Consumer
> }> >          Electronics and Zenith Electronics. [NY Times]
> }>
> }
> }If you're refering to the interactive digital television, let me know.  That's
> }what I work on.  We're up and running in customer homes...
>
> When you say 'interactive digital television,' do you mean a digital signal
> that is translated to an analog television?  Or do you mean you folks
> actually have digital televisions in customer homes?  The excerpt above
> refers to the latter, a whole new technology in televisions....

We are running Digital Signal over an analog carrier to a cable box that
will translate on the fly.  Excrutiatingly good quality without having
to go and buy a new television. Plus ours is interactive with the system.
Order movies while you watch, WHEN you want to.  No waiting on Pay-per-view.
No returning the friggin tape by midnight the following day and no late charges.

It's really sweet.

Robert L. Harris
FSN System Administrator, Time Warner Cable.
e-mail: Robert.Harris at twcable.com
        nomad at netwide.net

# Un*x FOREVER         # These are my thoughts    #
#                      #  and only my thoughts.   #
# Never Play LeapFrog  #  Any resembleance to     #
#  With a Unicorn!     #  anyone else's thoughts  #
#                      #  is either coincidence,  #
#                      #  or they stole them      #
#                      #  from me.                #