[ale] login.c

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Tue May 7 22:55:43 EDT 1996

}I got a copy of the source file for login.c and looked through it.  The =
}code is very readable so I'm probably going to change it to present the =
}username: prompt instead of login: . I hate to memic NT but it will =
}reduce my support overhead. =20
}I also need to allow my usernames to be more than 8 characters.  As I =
}looked through the code I found the define that sets the length of the =
}buffer for the login prompt.  It appears as though it will be an easy =
}edit.  Is there any reason that the login program only allows 8 =
}characters for a username? I am new to Unix/Linux and I can't think of =
}any reason I shouldn't change the buffer size to 32 chararcters. =20

Well, I suspect that other programs that access the passwd file, such as
passwd, are expecting the maximum 8 characters.  I suspect you may have
to modify ALL programs that access the /etc/passwd file...

I created a login called 'webmaster' on my machine.  Whenever that login
creates a file, the file is owned by 'webmaste'

There's alot to think about there.

}
}Thanks
}
}David
}
}

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net
	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof  or http://denali.is.net/~geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....