[ale] AMD 5X86 chips...

David Chow dchow at www.ttk.com
Fri May 3 22:29:44 EDT 1996

dZothMuellarg wrote:

> ^benchmarks of my own and I've found that it is about as fast as a Penitum
> ^-75 (using non-optimized pentium code of course). I'm running linux under
>
> Is the AMD 586 a Pentium?  WOuld pentium optimized code run on it?  Or
> is just a steriod filled 486?

	The latter would be correct.  The AMD5x86 is a 4th generation
  architechture chip - meaning it uses the 486 instruction set.
	Now, AMD is also making a AMD-K5 chip - aka AMD5k86
  (note the k versus the x).  The K5 chip is 5th generation - meaning it's
  has a super-scalar architechture comparable to intel's pentium.
	ANOTHER CPU to take a look at is the Cyrix 5x86 which IS a
  5th generation chip.  I know that the 5x86 100mhz chip (in my laptop)
  about the speed of a intel p-75.  I know that the AMD5x86 133mhz
  is still faster than the Cyrix 5x86 100mhz.

	A quick note about pin configurations...  If you have a 486 motherboard
  and you are considering upgrading - you can only go with the AMD5x86 or
  the cyrix 5x86, but you cannot upgrade to an AMD5k86 without a
  motherboard upgrade.

  dave

  ps - My sources are from... http://www.cyrix.com http://www.amd.com

--
David Chow
Triad Technologies Inc, Norcross Georgia, 30071
Internet:  dchow at ttk.com  chow at cc.gatech.edu