[ale] compiling 2.0 w/ gcc 2.6.3

charlie charlie at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 24 11:46:14 EDT 1996

On Sat, 22 Jun 1996, Steven A. DuChene wrote:

> OK, I'll bite. Why do you want a a.out compiler that will compile ELF?

  If I try to run GCC 2.7.X it won't run because the GCC executable is
compiled in ELF format, and my kernel is an "a.out" kernel with no ELF
support.  So I won't I need an a.out compiled verion of GCC 2.7.X?  I've
looked everywhere and I can't find it.  I've thought about recompiling
GCC, but that didn't work.  I've thought of getting just one of the
ready made "elf" kernels, and compile the 2.0 kernel using gcc2.7.X to
compile it.  Or I probably will just dump it all and install debian.
What am I missing about ELF and a.out.  I thought it was just a different
head information for executables.

> Oh, and as you can see from my signature below it is spelled DuChene not
> Duchene but I'm just Steve to my friends and acquaintances :-) (Take note
> of that Andy! :-)

nasty mail reader...

thanks
charlie

							        Charles Hubbard
	   		 	          Internet: charlie at felix.cc.gatech.edu
 ". . .the pope talks a lot about sex of which he knows nothing of"
	- Robert Anton Wilson