[ale] signal 11

Eric eric at compgen.com
Mon Jun 24 07:51:35 EDT 1996

Let me clarify this.

Bob is right in that a Signal 11 indicates a memory fault.  However, if
you have a system that you have not used very much and the compiler that
you installed from a distribution is dying from a seg fault or other
strange problem (Illegal Instruction, Floating Point error, etc.)
when compiling a kernel, then you might suspect hardware problems.

If you are compiling the kernel and the compilation dies with a
segfault, try re-starting the compilation.  If the compile continues and
sucessfullly compiles that file, only to subsequently die again on
another file, you should seriously start to consider a hardware problem.
Look in your error logs for any strange errors (/usr/adm/messages).
Just because your system works under windows/dos doesn't mean it isn't a
hardware problem.

The reason you see this is that compiling the kernel is one of the most
demanding things you can ask your Linux box to do.  The CPU stays busy,
if you don't have much memory, it's going to force you to use swap
space, you are creating and erasing losts of files in a short period of
time.

-Eric.