[ale] compiling 2.0 w/ gcc 2.6.3

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Sat Jun 22 01:22:35 EDT 1996

> On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Steven A. Duchene wrote:
>
> > You will not be able to do this. GCC-2.6.3 is an a.out compiler only.
> > To compile ELF stuff you need GCC-2.7.X

Charles Hubbard replied with:
> Where do I get an a.out compiler that will compile ELF?  I've looked on
> ftp.cc.gatech.edu, sunsite, tsx-11.mit.edu, and many others.  GCC2.6.3 was
> the only compiler I could find that was a.out!  Also the README said the
> earliest version you "could" compile with was gcc2.6.3.  Any suggestions
> on where I can find another?

OK, I'll bite. Why do you want a a.out compiler that will compile ELF?

I believe one of the options you can turn on in the kernel config is
support for ELF binaries even for a kernel that is compiled in a.out format
but this just means the kernel supports running ELF binaries (either static
or if you have the required ELF libraries on your system, dynamic executables).
However I believe what I stated above is true (someone will correct me if I'm
wrong :-), you need a 2.7.X version of GCC to compile an ELF executable and
therefore these are by definition ELF compilers with regards to the type of
binaries they produce and in the format the gcc and etc tools are in as can
be seen from the file outputs I have included below.

sduchene# file `which gcc`
/usr/bin/gcc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable i386 (386 and up) Version 1

sduchene# file `which ld`
/usr/bin/ld: ELF 32-bit LSB executable i386 (386 and up) Version 1

sduchene# file `which as`
/usr/bin/as: ELF 32-bit LSB executable i386 (386 and up) Version 1

Perhaps if you explained why you think you need or should be able to find
an a.out compiler that will compile ELF we help you out.

One more piece of information, gcc-2.7.X will also produce a.out format
executables as long as you have the appropriate libraries on your system
(along with the ELF ones) and give it the correct flags. For more info
on all of this I would encourage you to take a look at the ELF-HOWTO
and/or read through the release notes in the GCC directories of the Linux
ftp sites.

Oh, and as you can see from my signature below it is spelled DuChene not
Duchene but I'm just Steve to my friends and acquaintances :-) (Take note
of that Andy! :-)

--
Steven A. DuChene   Linux Weenie!  http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene

		isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
		    -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"