[ale] PPP Connection

Leonard S. Thornton lst1017 at america.net
Mon Jun 10 10:56:21 EDT 1996

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Zot O'Connor wrote:

> I've seen this before, it often means the ppp server is not communicating
> with the modem.  This is wasy to test by using minicom to dial the PPP
> server, go through the logon, and see what happens.  IF you get nothing
> but text, then you are not getting PPP.  Sometimes it means that the
> login is not set for PPP.
>
> Make sure you have chat using "-v" and ppp with "debug"  look at the log
> files anfd see what is happening.

Turns out it was a couple of different things:

1.  My modem was not recognizing the higher baud rate specified in the
options file.  This was causing unrecognizable garbage on the line after
pppd was started.

2.  The server was looking for PAP Authorization, which I fixed quickly.

3.  Had to specify -detach in the options file to NOT fork the pppd process.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.  Life is now good.  I have PPP.

Genuine Antique Software Engineer

"Been there....Done that....Can't remember a thing..."

Leonard Thornton                      INTERNET: lst1017 at america.net
Southern Consulting Services           MAILNET: 220 Fox Meadow Drive
DOS, Unix, NT, OS/2                             Covington GA 30209
                                      PHONENET: (404) 357-1816