[ale] Weird stuff with PC

Randy Dunlap rdunlap at atlanta.nsc.com
Fri Jun 7 08:19:21 EDT 1996

|From ale-owner at cc.gatech.edu Thu Jun  6 18:38:35 1996
|From: "Steven A. Duchene" <sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com>
|Subject: Re: [ale] Weird stuff with PC
|To: cfowler at www.topform.com
|Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 18:33:51 EDT
|Cc: ale at www.topform.com
|Sender: owner-ale at cc.gatech.edu
|
|> When I boot up linux then reboot the PC and go into win95, my SB  drvier
|> complains about incorrect command line options.  When I power the PC
|> off, it works fine.
|>
|> This is like trying this:
|>
|> reboot
|> rm -f
|>   -f unkown option!
|>
|> power off
|> rm -f
|>
|> It works fine.
|>
|> Is this strange?
|>
|	No, this probably means you have your sound card configured one way
|	under Linux and differently under DOS/Win95 and when you do the
|	warm reboot from Linux to that other OS the drivers aren't able
|	to recognize the state the card is in. It's most likely a case
|	of dumb Win95/DOS drivers that can re-initialize the sound card.

This says to me that (1) the Win95/DOS driver are not DUMB if they are
able to re-initialize and use the card; or (2) you
could have chosen better wording to say this.  8;)  (No wars, please.)

I think that one of the things that Linux could do to be more than a
free Unix would be better system resource allocation and management,
such as in the area of I/O space and IRQ assignments.  It seems very
antiquated to me that you must build a kernel with these assignments
statically built into it and if you change your Ethernet card's
I/O or IRQ, then you must rebuild the kernel.

Or am I off base here?  Has Linux already gone a step (or several
steps) beyond Unix on this?

Regards,
Randy

|--