[ale] kernel error message help

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 5 07:26:49 EDT 1996

> I just upgraded to kernel version 1.3.100 and now I get the following
> message periodically (well, frequently):
>
> fcntl_setlk() called by process XX with broken flock() emulation
>
> where XX is some PID.
>
> What does this mean, and how can I fix it??  I haven't determined that it
> really causes any problems, but I haven't had time to check everything out yet.

Joe,

When you upgrade you need to take a read of the Documents/Changes file
in the kernel source. It usually tells you what the upgrade.

I believe I read that this particular problem is caused by an old C library.
You'll need to upgrade your library.

Oh BTW if ps breaks you'll need to get the latest procpc package (I believe
version 0.99a is the latest)

BAJ