LILO

Chokechai P. chopra at ipied.tu.ac.th
Sat Jan 20 10:22:48 EST 1996

On Fri, 19 Jan 1996, Jeff Haynie wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 1996, Omar Loggiodice wrote:
> >    I would recommend that you install LILO in the master boot record of the
> >    first hard drive (/dev/hda instead of /dev/hda1), especially given the
> >    fact that you have only linux installed. By installing LILO in /dev/hda1
> >    you are locating it in the _first_ partition, rather than the MBR of the
> >    first disk (/dev/hda).
> I tried installing lilo in the MBR, /dev/hda vs. /dev/hda1 -- to no
> avail. Any other suggestions? Reading the fact gives you the reason
> for 'LIL' but no solutions.
> Jeff
Hi Jeff and Omar.
I used to run Linux on my second IDE harddisk with no problem.
I don't know whether there is a way to get LILO boots up on second harddisk
hassle-free, because I can't get the thing done either.

So, I gave up and find a work-around.  This is what I had done:

1.get 'lodlinux.zip' from somewhere (for me, I had a copy ready)
2.install your lodlinux.zip on the DOS partition
3.erase LILO bootstrap program at MBR by 'sys a: c:'
4.add this line to your autoexec.bat -
    lodlinux.exe [your parameter to indicate your Linux partition]
5.your system will now boot up with DOS and then run Linux smoothly.

Sorry for the ambigous part on lodlinux, I can't remember the thing.
This method works fine for me and should do for you providing that
you have a bootable DOS partition and lodlinux package.

Choke