[ale] Object Model on Linux (fwd)

Brad Dixon tomk at westgac3.dragon.com
Tue Dec 24 11:13:26 EST 1996

R I Feigenblatt writes:

> Charles Hubbard wrote:
[snip]

> >Besides the obvious problems with Micro$oft they have NEVER invented anything
> >that has had a major impact in the computer industry.  Now I'm not talking
>
>         Some people never get over the fact that restaurants and
>         supermarkets don't grow food. Me, I'd rather Microsoft acquire
>         Vermeer and sell me Frontpage discounted to about $100, (free
[snip]

My two cents worth 8-)  Whether you like or dislike Microsoft Corp. isn't
relevant to the conversation. (I can't believe that I'm going to do this)
Microsoft, for all it's faults, has created a unified interface with their
version of a window enviroment. Programs written to their specification "work"
in that enviroment. Microsoft's success rides on the success of the Intel
based machine created by IBM. If IBM hadn't been so successful, Microsoft
would not be what they currently are. The SAD note here is that Apple had the
market sewed up and gave it away to IBM. How so? Apple machines, once upon a
time, were open to third party manufacturers. So anyone could make
clones and "addon" cards. Then they decided to close their universe. IBM, in
their smartest move ever, created an open machine (borrowing the idea from
Apple, maybe?) and the rest is history. Sad, isn't it!

I've read other messages on the subject and I like the idea of a function
manager. Grab a icon representing a function. Drag it over to a function that
you would like to connect to (ie. pipe) and the necessary pipe is created.
Then, to be able to save the connection with a name (or borrowing an idea from
win95 have a pull down menu with the connections). Then to run them with a
click, etc. When all is done, then the pipe drops out. etc.

--
-= Sent by Debian Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK
tomk at westgac3.dragon.com