[ale] Object Model on Linux...and GUI

R I Feigenblatt docdtv at ilinks.net
Fri Dec 20 00:16:55 EST 1996

Omar Loggiodice wrote:
>As far as I know Netscape, hasn't embraced activeX as a core technology. If
>you can point me to a press release, or other information I'll appreciate
>it. They do, however, openly support OLE/ActiveX through a thrid-party
>plugin. The do not support it as part of their core development
>models/products (such as Netscape One).

        Netscape Reverses Position; Embraces ActiveX
        By Jeff Sweat, InformationWeek Oct 17, 1996
"Netscape announced Wednesday that it intends to support Microsoft's
 component technology as part of its broader strategy to support
 Microsoft platforms, reversing its policy toward the ActiveX
 component architecture... Until a few weeks ago, Netscape had
 publicly stated that it would not support ActiveX because it was
 proprietary and intended for a single platform... But Netscape says
 that regardless of openness, it's simply responding to customer
 demand that has built up over the last six to 12 months.... (but)
 ONE is "not going to write to the bleeding edge" of Microsoft's
 ActiveX Internet technology, (Netscape's) Treuhaft said."

>Sources say it will be "a few weeks" before Microsoft releases complete
>details about the standards process...

Please don't underestimate how the lack of enough good people to get things
done influences why ambitious goals are not met. Who would suggest that the
repeated delays (years?) delivering Windows 95 were "strategic", rather than
driven by the need to achieve good levels of reliability and performance?

>Hmm....Broadway will still be freely available. X.Fast is just the new name
>for LBX, and some of the development of it has been done in Xfree86. I
>really doubt that support for the "new LBX" (aka X.Fast) is not available
>as either a patch or part of a core release of Xfree86 (given the fact that
>LBX *is* available *now* for Xfree86). Check the linux LBX mini-howto for more
>info... BTW, I haven't read the Unix Review article, but this won't be the
first
>time information is misprinted :)

It would be nice if the stated concerns were obviated by future developments.
I am gratified to see that LBX is already available for Xfree86.

Ron Feigenblatt