[ale] Object Model on Linux

Dan Newcombe newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu
Wed Dec 18 16:50:17 EST 1996

To sleep...perchance to dream...

> I would really like to also start a discussion on the linux user
> interface, or lack thereof. Do you like it how it is, or what would you
> do different? Let's dream a little.

Linux has a wonderfully simple user interface.  It looks like
#

Simple.  :)  I assume by your menitons of OS/2 and Fresco that you are
talking about an X interface, so I'll stay away from the command mode
:)

The problem therefore is not really Linux's problem alone, but the
problem of most Unices.  That is that X is an open slate.  What is it
they always say - procedure, not policy?  Basically, here is a window
system - build on it.  For the most part, Unix vendors ship with CDE or
OpenView or something which basically has the functionality of Windows
3.1.  By this, I mean you have a way of starting programs, switching
between programs, and iconifing/restoring programs.  And that's pretty
much it.  Even most "Linux" window managers just provide this (fvwm,
afterstep, etc...)

The thing that is present in most other windowed systems (OS/2, Mac,
Win95, and even IRIX) is a file manager which is closely intergrated
with the Window Manager.  The main advantage of this is basically the
concept of the desktop.  You can store files/folders on the desktop.
Sure, we know they are just graphical representations of a
subdirectory, etc... but it still gives you more of a feeling that the
desktop and window system is something functional, not just a graphical
overlay with some pretty pictures in the background of the windows.

That is (in a nutshell) the first problem with Linux/X.

The second is libraries.  There are way way way too many libraries in
use for programs.  You have Xlib, Xt, Xaw, Xm, Qt, XView, Tk/Tcl,
etc...  And Xaw was only written as an example on how to use Xt, and
not for serious development, yet it seems to be the one that is used
the most (at least for the free stuff).

With all of these in use, it is really hard to write stuff that'll
interoperate.  When you have 4 different ways of doing cut & paste, how
do you make them talk correct.    And how do you provide a common look
and feel?  Basically it is a pain, and there really is no decent
library for doing the whole object model.  I think the AUIS was one of
the things that came closest.

While having a file/window manager would be nice, it'll still be a pain
if you don't have the same interface in all the programs when you go to
do something like move a scrollbar or try to select/open/save a file.

Well, I could go on and on...but I have a party to go to and it's
getting late.

Something to think about for starters.
	-Dan

--
Dan Newcombe (newcombe at aa.clayton.edu) http://www.clayton.edu/home/dan/
"And all I do is miss you and the way we used to be. All I do is keep the beat