[ale] Backpack parallel port cd-rom?

Stephen R. Wylie swylie at wylie.com
Mon Dec 16 17:40:35 EST 1996

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Arnold D. Robbins wrote:

> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:40:53 -0500
> From: "Arnold D. Robbins" <arnold at colorstar.com>
> To: ale at cc.gatech.edu
> Subject: [ale] Backpack parallel port cd-rom?
>
> Does anyone know if Linux supports the "Backpack" CD-ROM that hooks up
> to the parallel port?  I'm getting ready to get one, and want to be able
> to use it to install Linux (red hat 4.0).

I would refer to the message from the redhat folx posted previously...
their attitude appears to be "get a 'real' CD-ROM"

I am not familiar with this device, but their parallel port Zip drivers
work well so I wouldn't close the door on installing linux with it. I
wouldn't count on installing red hat, however. I prefer slackware, myself,
and I've never had any problems making any custom kernel boot disks for
it, either. It *does* help to know what needs to be configured into the
kernal, how to lilo the bootdisk & rdev flags for the kernal image...

drop me a line if you need any advice or wanna hear some of my war
stories... I've done it before...

srw
Stephen R. Wylie	      swylie at wylie.com
CLICK ME
All unsolicited commercial email proofread at $250 per 1K received.
"They gave me a book of checks.  They didn't ask for any deposits."
     -- Congressman Joe Early (D-Mass)