[ale] Trivial Breakin to RH-4.0 -- What's happening?

Tucker Balch tucker at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 12 14:58:51 EST 1996

> What's happening, and more important, how can it be controlled?  I don't think
> "there's no security when the computer is physically accessible" is quite
> the answer -- at least I would expect an intruder to need some kind of
> diskette!

I think you booted the system in single user mode.  This is normal.
It allows you to access the system as root to fix things that don't
work in multiuser mode (like when you forget the root password).
If you don't want to allow this, revise your lilo.conf so as
to remove the "prompt" entry.  Now your intruder will need a
disk.  If you don't want to even allow that, get a password
protected bios.

--Tucker