[ale] linux and hp omnibook

Alexei Rodriguez alexei at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 12 10:24:53 EST 1996

Arnold D. Robbins wrote:

> I'm getting ready to buy an HP omnibook laptop (P90, 16M, 12.G) active
> matrix.  Has anyone put any kind of Linux on this successfully?  I'm
> planning to get an external cd-rom drive, but have no idea yet what type
> it is.  What should I be watching out for?  My goal would be to install
> redhat on it either off the cd or from a network install. Also, any idea
> what PCMCIA ethernet cards linux supports?
>
> I'm like a total novice at PC / laptop stuff, so be gentle in your

A few folks here are trying to get Linux on the Omnibook as well.
The cdrom is a SCSI one. It works. The 3com PCMCIA cards work nicely.

As for X... that is another problem. One guy here has been tracking
down folks at HP and Toshiba to get the answer (the screen is made
by Toshiba). The Xinside Accelerated X server comes up but the
refresh rate is all screwy (even when selecting a single frequency
display). I think we are going to ask them to fix it rather than
chase down the folks at HP.

Until there is better X support, I would probably try and get a
Toshiba laptop or some other equivalent.

Alexei