[ale] ftp daemon hangs

Jon-Michael J. DeBona jdebona at discom.net
Mon Dec 9 14:53:18 EST 1996

About once a month our ftp daemon (wu-ftpd 2.4.4, Linux Slackware 2.0.1)
get's hung on a process.  Users get messages on their clients about not
being able to get a data socket.  You can log in, but if you do an "ls"
it just sits there.  It's usually, but not always, a STOR and happens on
files of size 1MB+ and the same user.  I don't know if that's relevant
or not though.  Regardless, we shouldn't let it happen.  Has
anoyone seen this occur before?  It's easy to fix.  You just kill the
hung process.  What I would really like to know is if there is a way to
prevent this from happening.  After hearing about security problems,
etc., I upgraded the daemon from 2.4.1 to 2.4.4 just this morning.  I'm
hoping this will fix the problem.
Jon-Michael J. DeBona
Technical Support Representative         E-Mail:  jdebona at discom.net
Discovery Communications, Inc.              WWW:  http://www.discom.net/
775 Franklin Rd., Suite 100               Voice:  (770) 425-5700 x102
Marietta, GA 30067                          Fax:  (770) 425-1765
               Discover a Whole New Internet at Discovery
             Bringing People Together Through Communications