[ale] virtual interfaces

Dan Newcombe newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu
Fri Dec 6 09:20:17 EST 1996

> Does any know how to setup virtual IP interfaces on an ethernet
> adapter?  By virtual, I mean I want one NIC to respond to two
> different IP addresses.  I read somewhere that it could be done
> under Linux, but have not been able to lay my hands on that
> material again.

Make sure that you have IP_ALIAS turned on when you compile.  The docs
are in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/alias.txt

Basically, if you have aliasing turned on, you just do
	ifconfig eth0:1 ipnumber
and so on.  eth0:1 is the new interface, or eth0:2, etc...

	-Dan

--
Dan Newcombe (newcombe at aa.clayton.edu) http://www.clayton.edu/home/dan/
"Promised wedding now a wake...So I'll hold my peace forever when you wear