[ale] Commercial Users of Linux

Bob's Bulk mail transam at cavu.com
Mon Dec 2 23:13:15 EST 1996

Here at Nedlloyd Lines we have five UNIX boxes of which one is a Linux
box which we use to allow our Sys Admins, DBAs, and programmers dialup
PPP access to our systems.  The Linux box has a Rocket 8-port card with
5 modems hung off of it.

While we have very fancy networking through Compuserve and others to
our offices in most of the countries in North and South America as well
as around the world, for our systems people we use the Linux box because
we need reliability and speed!

Nedlloyd is about the third largest shipping company in the world, based
in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, and the other four UNIX boxes include two
Alphas with a total of 3 CPUs, 1.5 GB of main memory, and 80 GB of disk.
Our two Sequents are big too.  I am consulting as the UNIX System Admin.
We also have a VMS cluster.

These computers run all of our 20 or so offices in North and South
America and communicate with our main office in Rotterdam.

My previous contract was with BellSouth, where we used a Linux box for
the Cellemetry (tm) project, collecting real-time data from Electric
Watthour meters, vending machines, etc.  and sending commands out to
the devices, over the cellular phone network.

In my 20 years of UNIX experience, Linux is, by far, the best UNIX
version I have ever used.

Bob Toxen, President
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.
bob at cavu.com
transam at cavu.com [ALE]
http://www.mindspring.com/~cavu
"Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus" (We came, we saw, we hacked)