[ale] Problems with X

Bob's Bulk mail transam at cavu.com
Sun Dec 1 13:16:32 EST 1996

It sounds like you are missing the /dev/console device.  I believe you
simply can use the /dev/MAKEDEVS script to fix this.  You can also create
it individually with mknod.

I think that you can invoke MAKEDEVS without any args.

If you are missing this /dev/console, however, it indicates an error in
your system that you should track down.  Also, making errors in /dev
that change or delete critical devices will render your system unusable
and unbootable.  Tread carefully.

On my (Slackware) system an "ls -l /dev/console" yields:

	crw--w--w-   1 bob      politbur   4,   0 Dec  1 12:43 /dev/console

and "cat /proc/devices" yields:

	Character devices:
	 1 mem
	 4 ttyp
	 5 cua
	 6 lp
	 7 vcs
	10 mouse
	14 sound
	27 ftape

	Block devices:
	 2 fd
	 3 ide0
	15 cdu31a

Note that /dev/console has the same major device number as ttyp.  Thus on
my system

	mknod /dev/console c 4 0
	chmod 622 /dev/console

as root should create it for you.

Bob Toxen
bob at cavu.com
transam at cavu.com [ALE]
http://www.mindspring.com/~cavu
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.
"Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus" (We came, we saw, we hacked)