Linux stability

Andrew Hobson ahobson at lucy.mindspring.com
Thu Jan 12 18:43:10 EST 1995

MindSpring has one of their two news servers as a linux box.  There
was a problem in earlier versions of the kernel not closing socket
connections if the other side timed out which caused new connections
to never get a socket.  We increased the number of sockets to 1024,
upgraded to the new versions of the kernel that fix the timeout
problem, and for about a week now, the Linux box has not gone down.
The BSDI news server we have is still having problems, not the least
of which is you cannot run innwatch because it will eat up all of your
memory.

If the BSDI box continues to have problems and the Linux box none,
guess who might get an OS change?

Drew