Linux via NFS

Tucker Balch tucker at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Dec 31 14:54:17 EST 1994

> If so Just how does one go about doing this, I have never used NFS, but I think
> it involves the /etc/exports file.
>
> Chris

Chris,

That's a nice offer.  I know someone in the dorms used to offer this,
but I forgot the machine name.  Anyone else know?

We got NFS working on our giant 2-machine network at home.  The hardest
part was getting the network up.  Once you've got your machine talking
on the network (ie telnet works) adding NFS is fairly easy.  You will
need to do at least the following:

	1) Make sure the portmap, mountd, and nfsd daemons run on
		boot up (look in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2).  They may
		already be running on your system by default.
		If not, you can just un-comment the appropriate lines
		in the rc file.  Look for the line that says:

		# Start the various SUN RPC servers

	2) Edit the /etc/exports file to make your slackware directory
		mountable.  I think a single line like

		/home/chris/slackware	*(ro)

		should work.  That will make it mountable by anyone
		read-only.

If that doesn't do it, you'll have to crack open Olaf Kirch's
Network Administrator's Guide, it should be on the CoC sunsite mirror
somewhere.   Good luck!

--Tucker